Upcoming Peace for Hearts Events
June 24, 2017
What is Spiritual Direction?
July 13, 2017
At the Wild Goose Festival (July 13-16) in Hot Springs, NC
The Enduring Spirituality of Howard Thurman
“Silence is the door to God.”
Howard Thurman always encouraged people to “center down,” embrace quietness, befriend stillness, and cultivate a relationship with silence. Mystic, theologian, and spiritual adviser to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Thurman possessed the uncanny and prophetic ability to make a connection between silence and the scrutiny of one’s inner life. Drawn to nature and a contemplative life as a young boy, we will explore and experience why Thurman felt silence and stillness are so powerful and how they ready the spirit for an encounter with God.
HOWARD THURMAN AND
THE MYSTICAL HEART OF NON VIOLENCE
A Day of Contemplative Enrichment
West Hartford, CT
April 14, 2018
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
As a mystic, theologian, and spiritual adviser to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Howard Thurman (1899-1981) possessed the uncanny and prophetic ability to make a connection between silence and the scrutiny of one’s inner life with social justice work. He encouraged Dr. King and other organizers of the Civil Rights Movement to examine their inward journeys and to use nonviolent responses to what was often very violent confrontation. Dr. Thurman chose to engage in sacred activism—work that would serve all people and to use the contemplative experience as a path to peace, joy, and power. He wrote about this desire in Jesus and the Disinherited, a book that Dr. King carried with him whenever he marched. Throughout this day punctuated with contemplative prayer, we will witness with readings and silence how the mystical heart of nonviolence that Thurman advocated can be utilized to free others and ourselves.
Please register below or save by registering with our 5 or 7 program bundles.
Contemplative Learning format
8:30 - Sign-in opens at meeting space
9:00 - Welcome and breakfast snacks (30 mins)
9:30 - Prayer, Community Check-in (10 minutes)
9:40 - Centering Prayer (30 mins)
10:10 - Silent Break (10 mins)
10:20 - Conference 1 (1 hour)
11:20 - Silent Break (10 mins)
11:30 - Conference 2 (1 hour)
12:30 - Full lunch (with or without conversation)
1:30 - Conference 3 (1 hr)
2:30 – Silent Break (15 min)
2:45 - Centering Prayer (30 mins)
3:15 - Small Group (1 hr)
4:15 - Community Check-out, Survey and Prayer - ask questions / share closing insights with the large group (15 mins)
4:30 - Depart
- Find a quiet place to sit comfortably inside or outside.
- Render all electronic devices inoperable (power down is the best option). However, using airplane mode and setting the timer to 5 minutes will work as well.
- Take at least 3 deep breaths exhaling and inhaling as much as you can.
- Gently let go of everything that is on your mind; any and all thoughts…
- Pretend like you are listening to your favorite song or talking to your favorite person. Give the song or him or her your complete attention in the silence. When you noticed that your mind has wandered away and thoughts are crisscrossing through your mind again, gently let them go.
- Repeat step 5 as many times as necessary until the timer beeps.
- Feel the Peace and Joy in your now still heart.
Warning: Spontaneous smiling and joy may occur at any time during this process.
Peace for Hearts