Want to go on a retreat without leaving your house?
Howard Thurman Retreat Day – ONLINE
Time to deepen your commitment to contemplation, justice and activism
This online retreat reflects on Howard Thurman, spiritual guide to Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Lerita Coleman Brown will guide you to reflect on Thurman’s life, his writings, and his influence on American religion, spirituality and the Civil Rights Movement.
Through audio teaching, guided meditation, reflection questions and invitations into silence, we hope you will be warmed by the stillness of the same Spirit that moved through Howard Thurman and inspired him to become a contemplative and sacred activist.
DATES: The material will be available beginning on Monday, January 16—Martin Luther King Day—through the end of March 2017. You will be able to access the material as it works best for your schedule, though setting aside a day is the recommended approach.
COST: $49 (a group rate is available)
- Find a quiet place to sit comfortably inside or outside.
- Render all electronic devices inoperable (power down is the best option). However, using airplane mode and setting the timer to 5 minutes will work as well.
- Take at least 3 deep breaths exhaling and inhaling as much as you can.
- Gently let go of everything that is on your mind; any and all thoughts…
- Pretend like you are listening to your favorite song or talking to your favorite person. Give the song or him or her your complete attention in the silence. When you noticed that your mind has wandered away and thoughts are crisscrossing through your mind again, gently let them go.
- Repeat step 5 as many times as necessary until the timer beeps.
- Feel the Peace and Joy in your now still heart.
Warning: Spontaneous smiling and joy may suddenly occur at any time during this process.
Peace for Hearts